If you have been injured due to someone else’s negligence, you may be entitled to compensation. Personal injury cases arise from a wide range of incidents, including automobile collisions, slip and falls, and work-related injuries.
Pursuing a personal injury claim can be complex, which is why it is important to retain a skilled McKinney Texas personal injury lawyer who can guide you through the legal process.
Typical Causes and Scenarios
Personal injury cases can arise from a variety of incidents. Some of the most common causes and scenarios include:
We represent victims of truck accidents, ensuring fair compensation for their injuries and losses.
Our attorneys provide legal assistance to cyclists who have been injured due to the negligence of others.
We help families seeking justice for birth injuries caused by medical malpractice.
Our team is dedicated to helping car accident victims get the compensation they deserve.
We represent victims of dog bites, seeking justice and compensation for their injuries.
We help victims of drunk driving accidents fight for their rights and claim compensation.
Our law firm represents victims of food poisoning, helping them receive compensation for their suffering.
We advocate for the rights of motorcycle accident victims, fighting for fair compensation.
Our experienced lawyers represent victims of slip and fall accidents, ensuring they get justice and compensation.
We stand up for victims of crime, helping them navigate the complex legal system.
Our law firm represents those facing vehicular manslaughter charges, providing strong defense and legal guidance.
We assist homeowners in filing and fighting for fair storm damage insurance claims.
Steps to Take Following a Personal Injury Accident
If you have been injured in an accident, there are several steps you should take to protect your rights:
- Obtain medical treatment: Your health should be your top priority. Seek medical attention as soon as possible, even if you don’t think your injuries are serious.
- Gather evidence related to the accident: Take photos of the accident scene, get contact information from any witnesses, and keep a record of any expenses related to your injuries.
- Be cautious with your statements and actions: Avoid admitting fault or making statements that could be used against you later.
- Consult with a personal injury attorney: A McKinney personal injury lawyer can help you understand your legal options and pursue maximum compensation for your injuries.
The Process of a Personal Injury Case
Personal injury cases arise from acts of negligence. In order to prove negligence, the plaintiff (injured party) must establish four key factors:
- Duty of care: The defendant (at-fault party) had a duty to act in a reasonable and responsible manner to avoid causing harm to others.
- Breach of duty: The defendant failed to uphold their duty of care.
- Causation: The plaintiff’s injuries were caused by the defendant’s breach of duty.
- Damages: The plaintiff suffered actual damages (e.g. medical expenses, lost income) as a result of their injuries.
Potential Defendants in a Personal Injury Case
Individuals and businesses can be held liable for personal injury claims. In many cases, negotiations will take place with the defendant’s insurance company in order to reach a settlement. In product liability cases, the manufacturer and seller of a defective product may be held responsible for injuries caused by the product.
Types of Recoverable Damages
Personal injury plaintiffs may be able to recover several types of damages, including:
- Economic damages: These are damages that can be easily quantified, such as medical expenses and lost income.
- Non-economic damages: These damages are more difficult to quantify, as they are related to pain and suffering, emotional distress, and other intangible losses.
- Punitive damages: In extreme cases, the court may award punitive damages in order to punish the at-fault party and deter similar behavior in the future.
Statute of Limitations for Personal Injury Cases
In Texas, the statute of limitations for most personal injury claims is two years. This means that you must file your claim within two years of the date of the accident in order to pursue compensation. However, there are some exceptions to this rule, so it is important to consult with a McKinney personal injury attorney as soon as possible following your accident.
Reasons to Choose Adley Law Firm
At Adley Law Firm, our McKinney personal injury attorneys are dedicated to helping injured clients recover the compensation they deserve. We understand the physical, emotional, and financial toll that a personal injury can take on your life, and we are committed to fighting for your rights. Some reasons to choose our firm include:
- Dedicated and experienced attorneys: Our team has years of experience handling a wide range of personal injury cases.
- No fee unless we win your case: We work on a contingency fee basis, which means that you don’t pay us unless we recover compensation for you.
- Complimentary case evaluation: We offer free consultations to help you understand your legal options and determine whether you have a viable personal injury claim.
If you have been injured in any of these types of accidents, contact us today to schedule a free consultation with a McKinney personal injury lawyer.