Traumatic brain injuries (TBI) are a prevalent and serious issue in the United States, affecting millions of people each year. These injuries can have a profound impact on the lives of victims and their families, leading to emotional, physical, and financial difficulties. When a TBI is caused by someone else’s negligence, it is crucial to seek legal help to ensure that the victim receives the compensation they deserve. In Arlington, Texas, The Adley Law Firm is a leading firm that specializes in providing legal assistance to those affected by traumatic brain injuries.
Traumatic Brain Injuries in the United States
Each year in the United States, TBI accounts for a significant number of emergency room visits, hospitalizations, and fatalities. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, TBI contributes to around 282,000 hospitalizations and 50,000 deaths annually. The financial burden of these injuries on victims, their families, and the healthcare system is substantial, with the direct and indirect costs of TBI estimated at over $76 billion per year.
The incidence of TBI has been on the rise in recent years, with a 53% increase in TBI-related emergency room visits between 2006 and 2014. A significant portion of these cases involves youth who sustain TBI due to sports and recreational activities. It is estimated that approximately 1.7 million people in the United States suffer a TBI each year, highlighting the importance of awareness and prevention efforts.
Common Causes of Traumatic Brain Injuries in Arlington
- Slip and Fall AccidentsSlip and fall accidents are the most common cause of TBI in the United States, accounting for more than 40% of all cases. These accidents can occur in various settings, such as slipping on wet surfaces, tripping over uneven pavement, or falling from heights. Property owners have a responsibility to maintain a safe environment for visitors, and when they fail to do so, they may be held liable for any resulting injuries.
- Automobile AccidentsAutomobile accidents are another major cause of TBI, often resulting in serious and life-altering injuries. These accidents can involve car collisions, motorcycle crashes, bicycle accidents, and pedestrian incidents. When another driver’s negligence causes an accident that results in a TBI, the victim may be entitled to compensation for their medical expenses, lost wages, pain and suffering, and other damages.
- Impact InjuriesImpact injuries, which occur when the head is struck by an object or person, account for approximately 15% of TBI cases. These injuries can happen during various activities, such as contact sports, extreme sports, or even everyday accidents. If an individual or organization’s negligence contributes to an impact injury that causes a TBI, they may be held liable for the victim’s damages.
- Violent IncidentsViolent incidents, such as gun violence, domestic abuse, or child maltreatment, can also result in TBI. These cases make up approximately 10% of all TBI cases in the United States. When someone intentionally causes harm to another person, resulting in a TBI, they can be held accountable for the victim’s damages through a personal injury claim or lawsuit.
- Other or Undetermined FactorsIn some cases, the cause of a TBI may be miscellaneous or unidentified. Regardless of the cause, if a TBI occurs due to someone else’s negligence or wrongdoing, the victim may be entitled to compensation for their injuries and related expenses.
TBI Treatment Options
Treatment for moderate to severe traumatic brain injuries can involve various methods, depending on the severity and location of the injury.
- MedicinesMedicines may be prescribed to help manage symptoms and prevent complications related to TBI, such as diuretics to reduce swelling, anticonvulsants to prevent seizures, and sedatives to aid with agitation and restlessness.
- Surgical ProceduresIn some cases, surgery may be necessary to address TBI-related complications, such as removing a hematoma (a collection of blood outside a blood vessel), repairing a skull fracture, draining fluid from the brain, or relieving pressure on swollen brain tissue.
- RehabilitationRehabilitation is often a critical component of the recovery process for TBI victims. Rehabilitation may involve reacquiring basic skills, such as walking and talking, and may require long-term care depending on the severity of the injury. This process can be extensive and expensive, necessitating compensation to cover the associated costs.
It’s normal for TBI victims and their families to have questions about the injury, treatment options, and legal options. The Adley Law Firm can provide answers and resources to address common questions, such as:
- How is a traumatic brain injury diagnosed?
- What are the long-term effects of a TBI?
- How much compensation can I expect for a TBI?
- How long do I have to file a personal injury claim for a TBI?
- What should I do if an insurance company contacts me after my TBI?
- How can I prove that someone else’s negligence caused my TBI?
- What types of damages can I recover in a TBI claim?
- How does the legal process work for TBI cases?
- How can an Arlington traumatic brain injury lawyer help me with my case?
- What should I look for when choosing a TBI attorney?
Consult an Arlington Brain Injury Attorney at The Adley Law Firm
If you or a loved one has suffered a traumatic brain injury due to someone else’s negligence, it is essential to consult an experienced Arlington brain injury attorney. The Adley Law Firm can handle a wide range of TBI cases, including those resulting from auto accidents, slip-and-fall accidents, impact injuries, and more.
The Adley Law Firm offers comprehensive legal services, from investigating the cause of the injury to negotiating with insurance companies and representing clients in court. With the potential expenses related to TBI treatment and rehabilitation, securing compensation is critical to ensuring the best possible outcome for the victim.
The Adley Law Firm has extensive experience and success in managing TBI cases, helping clients receive the compensation they deserve for their injuries and losses.
If you or a loved one has suffered a traumatic brain injury in the Arlington area, don’t hesitate to contact The Adley Law Firm for legal support. Seeking compensation is essential to cover the extensive costs of TBI treatment and recovery, and the experienced attorneys at The Adley Law Firm can help guide you through the process.