Motorcycle accidents in Galveston, Texas, are a significant concern for both riders and other road users. Motorcyclists are at a higher risk of severe injuries and fatalities due to their lack of protection compared to car occupants. Given the potential consequences of a motorcycle accident, it is crucial for victims to acquire legal assistance to navigate the complex process of seeking compensation and holding negligent parties accountable.
In recent years, Galveston has seen a rise in motorcycle accidents and fatalities. According to the Texas Department of Transportation crash data, the number of motorcycle crashes in the area has been on an upward trend, highlighting the need for increased safety measures and education for all road users.
Motorcycle Accident Statistics in Galveston, TX
The total number of motorcycle accidents in Galveston varies year by year, but the overall trend is concerning. The Texas Department of Transportation has reported an increase in both fatal and severe injury crashes involving motorcyclists in the region.
Several factors contribute to motorcycle accidents in Galveston, including speeding, failure to yield, and driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs. Additionally, the lack of helmet use and inadequate protective gear can result in more severe injuries in the event of an accident.
Statewide, motorcycle accidents account for a significant percentage of total traffic fatalities in Texas. According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, motorcyclists accounted for 14% of all traffic fatalities in the state in 2019, despite representing only 3% of registered vehicles.
Common Causes and Injuries in Motorcycle Accidents in Galveston, TX
The top ten reasons for motorcycle accidents in Galveston include:
- Failure to yield
- Driving under the influence
- Distracted driving
- Unsafe lane changes
- Following too closely
- Inexperienced riders
- Unsafe road conditions
- Defective motorcycle parts
- Car and truck driver negligence
Other frequent causes of motorcycle accidents involve animals, debris, and weather-related hazards. In many cases, multiple factors contribute to an accident, making it essential to thoroughly investigate and identify all responsible parties.
Typical injuries sustained in motorcycle accidents in Galveston range from minor cuts and bruises to life-threatening conditions. Common injuries include:
- Traumatic brain injuries
- Spinal cord injuries
- Fractures and broken bones
- Road rash
- Internal injuries
Helmet Laws in Texas and Their Impact on Motorcycle Accident Claims
Helmet regulations in Texas require riders under the age of 21 to wear a helmet while operating a motorcycle. However, riders 21 and older may choose not to wear a helmet if they have completed a motorcycle safety course or carry adequate medical insurance coverage.
The decision not to wear a helmet can have a significant impact on compensation claims following a motorcycle accident. Texas follows a modified comparative negligence rule, meaning that if a rider is found to be partially responsible for their injuries due to not wearing a helmet, their compensation may be reduced proportionally.
Helmets play a critical role in ensuring the safety of motorcyclists by significantly reducing the risk of head and brain injuries. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, helmets reduce the risk of head injury by 69% and the risk of death by 37%.
Legal Expertise at The Adley Law Firm
The Adley Law Firm offers comprehensive legal services for motorcycle accident victims in Galveston, Texas. With a team of experienced attorneys, The Adley Law Firm can support victims through every step of the legal process, ensuring that they receive the compensation they deserve.
Having handled numerous motorcycle accident cases, The Adley Law Firm’s attorneys possess extensive knowledge and expertise in this area of law. They are committed to advocating for their clients’ rights and achieving the best possible outcomes for their cases.
Steps to Follow After a Motorcycle Accident in Galveston, TX
If you are involved in a motorcycle accident in Galveston, it is essential to take the following steps:
- Prioritize your safety and the safety of others by moving away from traffic and turning off your motorcycle.
- Call 911 to report the accident and request medical assistance if necessary.
- Gather information, including the names, contact details, and insurance information of other drivers involved in the accident.
- Document the scene by taking photographs and videos of the vehicles, road conditions, and any injuries sustained.
- Obtain contact information from any witnesses to the accident.
- Seek medical attention, even if you believe your injuries are minor.
- Preserve evidence, such as clothing, helmets, and motorcycle parts.
- Avoid discussing the accident with anyone other than law enforcement and your attorney.
- Contact your insurance company to report the accident, but avoid providing a recorded statement without consulting an attorney.
- Reach out to a Galveston motorcycle accident lawyer, such as those at The Adley Law Firm, for legal support and guidance.
Schedule Your Complimentary Consultation
The Adley Law Firm encourages potential clients to arrange a free consultation by calling (800) 856-9595 or visiting their website. During this consultation, an experienced attorney will evaluate your case, discuss your legal options, and answer any questions you may have.
Reach Out for a No-Cost Case Evaluation
Obtaining legal assistance after a motorcycle accident is crucial to ensure that your rights are protected and that you receive the compensation you deserve. The Adley Law Firm is dedicated to assisting victims in securing compensation for medical expenses, lost wages, pain and suffering, and other damages resulting from their accident.
Frequently Asked Questions About Motorcycle Accidents
- What should I do if I am involved in a motorcycle accident? Follow the steps outlined above, prioritize your safety, and consult with an attorney as soon as possible.
- How much is my motorcycle accident claim worth? The value of your claim depends on the severity of your injuries, medical expenses, lost wages, and other factors. An attorney can help you determine the potential value of your claim.
- How long do I have to file a motorcycle accident claim in Texas? In most cases, you have two years from the date of the accident to file a personal injury lawsuit.
- What if the other driver does not have insurance? You may be able to pursue compensation through your own uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage or file a lawsuit against the at-fault driver.
- How can a motorcycle accident lawyer help me? An attorney can investigate your accident, gather evidence, negotiate with insurance companies, and represent you in court if necessary.
The aftermath of a motorcycle accident can be overwhelming and confusing. Seeking legal help from a Galveston motorcycle accident lawyer, such as those at The Adley Law Firm, is essential to ensure that your rights are protected and that you receive the compensation you deserve. Contact The Adley Law Firm today to schedule your free consultation and take the first step toward recovery.