Spinal cord injuries are among the most severe and life-altering incidents that an individual can experience. These injuries can lead to chronic pain, loss of mobility, and even paralysis. Many spinal cord injury victims face the challenge of adapting to a new way of life, which can be both emotionally and financially burdensome.
When a spinal cord injury is caused by negligence, such as in a car accident, slip-and-fall, or workplace incident, it is crucial to seek legal representation from experienced Galveston spinal cord injury lawyers. They can help secure the compensation necessary to cover medical expenses, lost wages, and other damages related to the injury.
The Adley Law Firm: Skilled Galveston Spinal Cord Injury Attorneys
The Adley Law Firm handles spinal cord injury cases in Galveston. Their team of skilled attorneys understands the complexity of these cases and is dedicated to seeking justice for their clients. With their expertise, they can help clients navigate the legal process and fight for the compensation they deserve.
If you or a loved one has suffered a spinal cord injury due to someone else’s negligence, contact the Adley Law Firm at (713) 999-8669 or visit their website at adleylawfirm.com to schedule a free consultation.
Recognizing Spinal Cord Injuries and Their Effects
Spinal cord injuries occur when there is damage to the spinal cord or the nerves at the end of the spinal canal. This damage can disrupt the normal communication between the brain and the rest of the body, leading to a range of complications such as muscle weakness, loss of sensation, and impaired organ function. Spinal cord injuries are generally categorized as either complete or incomplete. A complete spinal cord injury refers to the total loss of function below the level of the injury, while an incomplete injury involves partial preservation of function.
Depending on the location and severity of the injury, spinal cord injuries can result in different forms of paralysis. Quadriplegia, also known as tetraplegia, refers to the loss of function in all four limbs and the torso. Paraplegia, on the other hand, affects only the lower half of the body, resulting in impaired function in the legs and pelvis. Some common signs and symptoms of spinal cord injuries include intense back pain, difficulty breathing, numbness or tingling in the extremities, and loss of bowel or bladder control.
Prevalent Causes of Spinal Cord Injuries in Galveston
According to the National Spinal Cord Injury Statistical Center, the leading causes of spinal cord injuries in the United States are motor vehicle accidents, falls, acts of violence, and sports-related incidents. In Galveston, these same causes are prevalent, with car accidents and slip-and-fall incidents being particularly common. Additionally, workplace accidents, especially in industries such as construction and maritime operations, can lead to spinal cord injuries in the Galveston area.
Medical Interventions for Spinal Cord Injuries
Despite advances in medical research, repairing spinal cord injuries remains a significant challenge. The primary goal of medical intervention for spinal cord injuries is to stabilize the patient and minimize further damage. Immediate treatments may include immobilization to prevent movement, administering medications to prevent shock, maintaining respiratory function through intubation, and monitoring vital signs to minimize complications.
In some cases, medications such as corticosteroids may be used to reduce inflammation and swelling around the injured area. Traction devices or surgery may be necessary to realign the spine and relieve pressure on the spinal cord. After the initial treatment, rehabilitation and physical therapy become essential components of the recovery process. Adaptive equipment, such as wheelchairs, braces, and assistive devices, may also be necessary to help spinal cord injury victims regain some level of independence.
Pursuing Compensation for Spinal Cord Injuries in Galveston
When a spinal cord injury is caused by someone else’s negligence, it is crucial to consult with an experienced personal injury attorney in Galveston. These legal professionals can help victims understand their rights and the compensation they may be entitled to. Compensation for spinal cord injuries may include medical expenses, lost wages, pain and suffering, loss of consortium, and future care costs.
Spinal Cord Injury FAQ’s: Galveston Edition
- How much does it cost to hire a Galveston spinal cord injury attorney? Most personal injury attorneys, including those at The Adley Law Firm, work on a contingency fee basis. This means that you do not pay any upfront fees, and the attorney only collects a fee if they successfully recover compensation for you.
- How long do I have to file a spinal cord injury lawsuit in Galveston? In Texas, the statute of limitations for personal injury cases is generally two years from the date of the injury. However, certain exceptions may apply, so it is essential to consult with a knowledgeable attorney as soon as possible.
- What evidence will my Galveston spinal cord injury attorney need to prove my case? Evidence may include medical records, accident reports, witness statements, photographs, and expert testimony. Your attorney will work diligently to gather all necessary evidence to build a strong case on your behalf.
- Can I still pursue compensation if my spinal cord injury was partially my fault? Texas follows a modified comparative negligence rule, meaning that you may still be able to recover compensation if you were partially at fault for your injuries. However, your recovery may be reduced by the percentage of fault attributed to you.
- What should I do immediately after sustaining a spinal cord injury in an accident in Galveston? Seek medical attention, report the incident to the appropriate authorities, gather evidence (if possible), and consult with an experienced Galveston spinal cord injury attorney.
- Will my spinal cord injury case go to trial? Most personal injury cases settle before going to trial. However, if a fair settlement cannot be reached, your attorney will be prepared to take your case to court to seek the compensation you deserve.
- How long does it take to resolve a spinal cord injury case in Galveston? The timeline for resolving a spinal cord injury case depends on the specific circumstances of your case. Some cases may resolve within a few months, while others may take years to reach a settlement or verdict.
- How can I find the best Galveston spinal cord injury attorney for my case? Research local attorneys, read reviews and testimonials, and schedule consultations to find an attorney with the experience, knowledge, and dedication necessary to handle your case.
- Can I receive compensation for future medical expenses related to my spinal cord injury? Yes, future medical expenses, including rehabilitation, therapy, and adaptive equipment, can be included in the compensation you seek.
- What are some resources available for spinal cord injury victims in Galveston? Resources include local support groups, rehabilitation centers, and organizations such as the Christopher & Dana Reeve Foundation and the National Spinal Cord Injury Association.
Reach Out to The Adley Law Firm: Galveston Spinal Cord Injury Attorneys
The Adley Law Firm is dedicated to supporting spinal cord injury victims in Galveston and the surrounding areas. Their legal professionals have experience handling a wide range of accidents that can result in spinal cord injuries, such as vehicle collisions, falls, sports-related incidents, and workplace accidents.
With their expertise and commitment to their clients, The Adley Law Firm can help you navigate the legal process and secure the compensation you rightfully deserve. If you or a loved one needs assistance with a spinal cord injury case in Galveston, contact The Adley Law Firm today to schedule a free consultation.