The Adley Law Firm is committed to assisting Texans who have experienced harm or injustice. If you or someone you care about has become ill due to a food poisoning outbreak associated with a recalled product, you should contact our attorneys as soon as possible. You might be eligible for compensation by filing a lawsuit in Garland, Texas.
Common Sources of Food Poisoning
Food poisoning can result from various sources, such as:
- Contaminated raw ingredients: Raw meat, poultry, and seafood may contain harmful bacteria, such as Salmonella, E. coli, and Campylobacter. Proper cooking kills these bacteria, but cross-contamination can occur if raw ingredients come into contact with cooked or ready-to-eat foods.
- Unhygienic food handling and preparation: Food handlers who do not wash their hands properly or follow proper food safety practices can spread harmful bacteria to the food they prepare. This can occur in restaurants, grocery stores, or even at home.
- Improper food storage: Temperature plays a crucial role in preventing bacterial growth. Perishable foods should be stored at the correct temperatures to inhibit bacterial growth and spoilage. Failure to do so can result in the growth of harmful bacteria, leading to food poisoning.
- Inadequate cooking: Undercooked or improperly cooked food may not reach the necessary temperature to kill harmful bacteria. This is especially important for meats, poultry, and eggs.
- Contaminated water: Drinking or using contaminated water in food preparation can also cause food poisoning. Water can become contaminated through sewage, agricultural runoff, or other sources of pollution.
Foodborne Illness Outbreaks & Recalls
While food poisoning can affect various types of food, some have a higher risk than others. Doctors often advise pregnant women to avoid eating raw bean sprouts, sushi, and soft cheese due to the heightened risk of food poisoning. The following is a partial list of food recalls and outbreaks in recent years:
- Ahi poke
- Infant food
- Infant formula
- Bean sprouts
- Blue Bell Ice Cream
- Caramel apples
- Chipotle Mexican Grill
- Daily Harvest French Lentil + Leek Crumbles
- Death Wish Nitro Canned Coffee
- Ground beef
- Hiland Dairy Chocolate Milk
- Peanut butter
- Premier Protein
- Real Water® Alkaline Water (hepatitis)
- Revive Superfoods Mango & Pineapple Smoothie
- SoyNut butter
- The Chai Box® Chai Concentrate Mix
- And more
Understanding Food Poisoning
Food poisoning occurs when someone consumes food contaminated by bacteria, viruses, or toxins that cause illness. The most prevalent bacteria responsible for food poisoning include: E. coli, salmonella, listeria, shigella, campylobacter, and botulism.
Gastrointestinal illness is a common occurrence when someone is experiencing food poisoning. The specific symptoms and the severity of the illness depend on the bacteria responsible for the food poisoning. Common symptoms include:
- Nausea and vomiting
- Diarrhea, which may be watery or bloody
- Abdominal pain and cramping
- Fever and chills
- Headache and muscle aches
- Fatigue and weakness
Symptoms may appear as quickly as a few hours after consuming contaminated food or may take several days to manifest. The duration of the illness can range from a few hours to several weeks, depending on the severity of the infection and the individual’s immune system.
Consult with a Lawyer at No Cost
Suppose you or a loved one has suffered from food poisoning and believe it was due to the negligence of a food provider, manufacturer, or distributor. In that case, you may be entitled to compensation for your medical expenses, lost wages, and pain and suffering. A Garland food poisoning lawyer can help you navigate the legal process and fight for the justice you deserve.
The Adley Law Firm offers free consultations to help you determine if you have a valid claim. Our experienced attorneys will evaluate your case, answer your questions, and guide you through the process. We work on a contingency fee basis, which means you don’t pay any legal fees unless we successfully recover compensation on your behalf.
Don’t wait to seek the help you need. Contact the Adley Law Firm today to discuss your food poisoning claim with a skilled and compassionate attorney.