Truck accidents are among the most severe and devastating types of motor vehicle collisions. The size and weight of commercial trucks can cause catastrophic injuries and even death. In Harlingen and the surrounding areas, there is a significant presence of commercial trucks due to the proximity of major highways and the Port of Harlingen. Unfortunately, this also means that truck accidents are more prevalent.
Filing a truck accident injury claim can be challenging due to the intricate regulations governing the trucking industry and the potential severity of injuries sustained. This is why it is crucial to have a skilled Harlingen truck accident lawyer on your side to navigate the complex legal landscape and help you recover the compensation you deserve.
Injured in a Truck Accident in Harlingen?
If you have been injured in a truck accident in Harlingen, you need a proficient Harlingen truck accident lawyer who can help you navigate the legal process. The Adley Law Firm’s truck accident lawyers are well-versed in truck accident cases and can provide you with a complimentary, no-obligation consultation to discuss your case.
Having a legal team with an impressive track record of results is vital when pursuing a truck accident claim. The Adley Law Firm has a proven history of success in representing truck accident victims and will work tirelessly to ensure that you receive the compensation you deserve.
Harlingen, TX Truck Accident Statistics
According to the Texas Department of Transportation (TxDOT), there were over 39,000 truck accidents statewide in 2019. In Harlingen specifically, there were 217 truck accidents in the same year. Meanwhile, in Cameron County, where Harlingen is located, there were 855 truck accidents in 2019. These statistics emphasize the importance of seeking legal assistance after a truck accident to protect your rights and secure compensation for your injuries.
Leading Causes of Truck Accidents in Harlingen, TX
Truck accidents in Harlingen can be attributed to a variety of causes, some of which include:
- Driver fatigue
- Distracted driving
- Speeding or aggressive driving
- Impaired driving due to alcohol or drug use
- Improperly loaded or secured cargo
- Inadequate driver training
- Poor truck maintenance
It is crucial to hire a skilled Harlingen truck accident lawyer to investigate your case and determine the cause of the accident. This will enable them to identify the potentially negligent parties and help you pursue the compensation you deserve.
Negligent Behaviors Leading to Truck Accidents
There are several negligent behaviors that can lead to truck accidents, such as:
- Inadequate rest for truck drivers: Federal regulations mandate specific rest periods for truck drivers, but some drivers or trucking companies may ignore these rules, leading to driver fatigue and accidents.
- Aggressive driving by truckers: Speeding, tailgating, or making unsafe lane changes can result in severe truck accidents.
- Improperly loaded or secured cargo: Overloaded or poorly secured cargo can cause trucks to become unstable, leading to accidents.
- Hazardous road conditions for trucking: Poor weather or road conditions can contribute to truck accidents if drivers or trucking companies fail to take appropriate precautions.
- Distracted driving by truckers: Texting, eating, or using a GPS while driving can lead to accidents when drivers take their attention away from the road.
- Insufficient training of truck drivers: Inadequate training can result in drivers being ill-prepared to handle challenging driving situations, leading to accidents.
- Truckers driving under the influence (DUI): Driving while intoxicated by alcohol or drugs significantly increases the risk of accidents.
- Inadequate fleet maintenance: Poorly maintained trucks can lead to mechanical failures and accidents.
Steps to Take After a Truck Accident in Harlingen
If you are involved in a truck accident in Harlingen, it is essential to take the following steps:
- Move to a safe location: If possible, move your vehicle out of traffic to a safe location.
- Notify the police: Call 911 to report the accident and request medical assistance if needed.
- Exchange information and document the scene: Collect contact and insurance information from all parties involved, and take photos of the accident scene, vehicle damage, and any injuries.
- Seek out witnesses: Obtain contact information from any witnesses to the accident.
- Obtain medical attention: Even if you do not feel seriously injured, it is important to seek medical attention to assess any potential injuries.
- Contact The Adley Law Firm’s Harlingen truck accident lawyers: Speak with an experienced truck accident lawyer to discuss your legal options and ensure that your rights are protected.
Typical Truck Accident Injuries
Common injuries sustained in truck accidents include:
- Traumatic brain injuries
- Spinal cord injuries
- Broken bones
- Internal organ damage
- Lacerations and contusions
It is crucial to seek both medical and legal help after a truck accident to ensure that you receive the care you need and the compensation you deserve.
Truck Accident FAQ’s for Harlingen Residents
If you have questions about truck accident cases in Harlingen, The Adley Law Firm is here to help. Our team of experienced truck accident lawyers can answer your questions and provide guidance on your legal options. Some frequently asked questions include:
How long do I have to file a truck accident claim in Texas?
In the state of Texas, you have two years from the date of the truck accident to file a lawsuit. This is known as the statute of limitations. If you fail to file your claim within this period, you may lose your right to legal recourse. This two-year time limit applies to both personal injury and property damage claims. There are some exceptions to this rule, such as when a minor is injured, but for most cases, the two-year statute of limitations will apply.
What types of compensation can I receive for my truck accident injuries?
If you’ve been injured in a truck accident in Texas, you may be entitled to several types of compensation. This could include:
- Medical expenses: This covers any medical costs you’ve incurred as a result of the accident, from immediate emergency treatment to ongoing medical care and rehabilitation.
- Lost wages: If you’ve had to take time off work due to your injuries, you could be compensated for lost income.
- Pain and suffering: This compensation is given for the physical pain and emotional distress you’ve experienced as a result of the accident.
- Property damage: If your vehicle or other property was damaged in the accident, you could be compensated for repair or replacement costs.
- Wrongful death: If a loved one died in the truck accident, you could receive compensation for funeral costs, loss of companionship, and other damages related to their death.
How do I prove the truck driver or trucking company was at fault?
To prove fault in a truck accident, you typically need to demonstrate that the truck driver or trucking company was negligent. This involves establishing four key elements:
- Duty: The truck driver or trucking company had a duty to act with reasonable care.
- Breach: The truck driver or trucking company breached that duty, often by violating traffic laws, failing to maintain the truck properly, or by engaging in reckless behavior like speeding or distracted driving.
- Causation: The breach of duty directly caused the accident.
- Damages: You suffered damages (like injuries or property damage) as a result of the accident.
Evidence that can help prove these elements can include police reports, eyewitness testimony, photos or videos from the accident scene, medical records, and expert testimony.
Can I still recover compensation if I was partially at fault for the accident?
Yes, under Texas’ comparative negligence law, you can still recover compensation even if you were partially at fault for the truck accident. However, your compensation will be reduced by your percentage of fault. For example, if you were found to be 20% at fault, your total compensation would be reduced by 20%. It’s important to note that if you’re found to be more than 50% at fault, you won’t be able to recover any compensation.
What if the trucking company’s insurance denies my claim?
If the trucking company’s insurance denies your claim, don’t panic. There are several steps you can take. Firstly, request a written explanation for the denial. This will help you understand why your claim was denied and what evidence the insurance company is using to support their decision.
Next, consider consulting with a personal injury attorney. They can review your case and the insurance company’s reasons for denial, and advise you on the best course of action. This could involve negotiating with the insurance company, gathering additional evidence to support your claim, or even taking the case to court if necessary.
The Adley Law Firm Provides Representation With No Upfront Costs
The Adley Law Firm understands the financial strain that a truck accident can place on victims and their families. That is why we offer our legal services on a contingency fee basis, meaning you pay no fees unless we win your case. To learn more, contact us for a free consultation to discuss your case.
Contact The Adley Law Firm Today!
If you or a loved one has been injured in a truck accident in Harlingen, don’t wait to take action. Contact The Adley Law Firm’s experienced Harlingen truck accident lawyers today. Remember, Texas has a statute of limitations for personal injury claims, so acting quickly to protect your rights and recovery is crucial.
The Adley Law Firm is committed to helping truck accident victims secure the compensation they deserve. Call us today or save our contact information to ensure that you have the legal representation you need if you are ever involved in a truck accident in Harlingen.