Biking offers Houston residents many benefits. It is affordable, environmentally friendly, and a great way to exercise.
Unfortunately, Houston can be very dangerous for cyclists traveling around the city. Every year, many cyclists suffer serious injuries in Texas and dozens of them are killed.
Just like any other accident, cyclists have the right to pursue compensation for their injuries.
Causes of Biking Accidents
Crashes with cars are caused by many factors, these include:
- Drunk Drivers
- Distracted Drivers
- Items left on the road
- Other cyclists
- Failure to yield to the cyclist
- Aggressive Driving
- Intentional Actions by drivers
Common Injuries in Bicycle Accidents
Cyclists always suffer from serious injuries when struck by a vehicle. Often leaving bikers with permanent disabilities.
Some of the most debilitating bicycle-related injuries include:
- Wrongful Death
- Brain Injuries
- Fractured Bones
- Spinal Cord Injuries
- Internal Injuries/ Organ Damage
What To Do After a Bicycle Accident
- Call the police immediately after the accident
- Seek medical attention immediately, even if you don’t feel hurt
- Document your injuries from the accident
Exchange information with the driver that hit you so that you can follow up on your accident claim.
What you will need from the driver:
- Name, phone number, and their address
- Their automobile insurance policy carrier
- The policy number and phone number of the insurance carrier
- The driver’s license number
- The driver’s license plate
- Also, take photos of the scene
- The contact information of any witnesses
How To Prove Liability if You Have Been Hit
- Duty: Care and lookout for any cyclists when passing them
- Breach of Duty: Speeding or not paying attention when driving around a cyclist
- Causation: Breach of duty of reasonable care caused the injuries or damages to the cyclist
- Resulting Damages: Injuries sustained to the biker
Tips of Safety For Cycling in Houston
- Always wear a helmet and proper safety clothing
- Follow traffic laws, this applies to drivers. Drive on the right side of the road, signal before turning, and follow all traffic signs and lights
- If cycling at night, wear bright clothes and use lights
- Regularly inspect your bike to make sure it is functioning properly and safely.
- Be mindful when biking around parked cars. Always leave plenty of room just in case someone opens the door of a parked car.
Lawyers You Can Trust
Injuries sustained in a bicycle accident can be severe. With a competent attorney, you can be compensated for medical expenses, lost wages, pain and suffering, emotional distress, and other non-economic damages.
Speak to the Lawyers at Adley Law Firm, our lawyers are qualified in bicycle accidents and will fight against insurance companies to get the justice you deserve. We can help work through your accident and decide what compensation you deserve. We will help put your life back together after a tragic accident.
The Lawyers at Adley Law Firm understand the needs and dangers of cyclists and as a board certified accident lawyers, we know what has to be done in order to protect your rights after being hit by a car. Call us at (713) 999-8669 or schedule a free consultation.