In the vast and bustling state of Texas, highway accidents are an all-too-common and distressing occurrence. With its extensive network of roads and highways, the Lone Star State sees a significant number of collisions each year that leave many individuals with serious injuries, and in some cases, lead to tragic fatalities.
According to the Texas Department of Transportation (TxDOT), 2020 witnessed over 40,000 serious injury crashes and nearly 1,500 fatal crashes on Texas roadways. Such staggering statistics underscore the critical importance of safety initiatives like the “Click It or Ticket” campaign, which aims to bolster seat belt usage and reduce the number of traffic-related deaths.
Common Injuries of Highway Accidents
Victims of highway accidents often suffer from a range of injuries that can vary in severity. Some of the most common injuries include:
- Whiplash: A neck injury due to forceful, rapid back-and-forth movement of the neck, often seen in rear-end accidents.
- Traumatic brain injuries (TBIs): These can range from mild concussions to severe brain damage, impacting cognitive and motor functions.
- Spinal cord injuries: Such injuries may result in partial or complete paralysis, significantly altering a person’s quality of life.
- Fractures and broken bones: The impact of a highway collision can lead to broken limbs or ribs, requiring extensive medical treatment.
- Cuts and bruises: These injuries, while often considered minor, can sometimes lead to serious infections or scarring.
- Amputations: In severe cases, limbs may be crushed or severed, leading to permanent disability.
Recovering from these injuries can be a long and arduous process, often necessitating costly medical care and rehabilitation. The physical, emotional, and financial toll can be overwhelming for victims and their families.
Common Causes of Highway Accidents
Understanding the causes of highway accidents is essential for prevention and for determining liability in the event of a collision. Some prevalent causes include:
- Speeding: Exceeding the speed limit is a leading factor in many highway accidents, reducing reaction time and increasing the severity of crashes.
- Distracted driving: Activities like texting, eating, or using in-car technologies can divert attention from the road, leading to accidents.
- Drunk driving: Operating a vehicle under the influence of alcohol or drugs impairs judgment and motor skills, making accidents more likely.
- Reckless driving: Aggressive driving behaviors, such as tailgating and unsafe lane changes, can provoke dangerous situations.
- Poor weather conditions: Rain, fog, ice, and other adverse weather conditions can make driving hazardous and contribute to accidents.
- Defective vehicles: Mechanical failures, such as brake malfunctions or tire blowouts, can cause drivers to lose control of their vehicles.
- Fatigued driving: Drowsiness impairs a driver’s ability to concentrate and react, similar to the effects of alcohol.
For those who have been affected by a highway accident, it’s crucial to identify the cause and hold the responsible parties accountable.
Do I Need a Lawyer?
After a highway accident, you might be wondering, “Do I need a lawyer?” The answer often depends on the complexity of your situation. If you’ve sustained injuries, are facing significant medical bills, or are dealing with lost wages due to time off work, consulting with an experienced Houston car accident attorney is advisable.
Legal representation can be invaluable in navigating the intricacies of insurance claims, settlement negotiations, and potential litigation.
How We Can Help
At Adley Law Firm, we bring over 30 years of experience to the table when assisting clients involved in highway accidents. Our team of seasoned personal injury lawyers, recognized by esteemed associations such as the Houston Trial Lawyers Association and the Texas Trial Lawyers Association, is committed to securing the compensation you deserve. We understand the profound impact an accident can have on your life, and we are here to provide the support and guidance you need during this challenging time.
Don’t hesitate to reach out to us at (713) 999-8669 or visit our office at 1421 Preston St, Houston, TX 77002, USA, for a consultation. We’re here to help you on your journey to recovery and justice.
Dealing with Insurance Companies
Navigating the aftermath of a highway accident often involves complex interactions with insurance companies. These companies may attempt to settle claims expediently and for as little as possible. It’s a common tactic that can leave accident victims with insufficient funds to cover all their damages.
With a reputable firm like Adley Law Firm, you have advocates who can handle all communications with insurers, ensuring that your rights are upheld and you receive the fair compensation you are entitled to for your losses.
Impact on Insurance Premiums
One of the concerns many people have following an accident is the potential impact on insurance premiums. Being found at fault in a highway accident can lead to increased rates, which is why it’s crucial to have a skilled attorney who can work to establish liability accurately and protect your financial interests.
Rehabilitation and Recovery
The rehabilitation and recovery process after a highway accident can be lengthy and requires adequate resources. At Adley Law Firm, we recognize the importance of accessing the best medical care and rehabilitation services. We advocate for our clients to ensure they receive the necessary support for a full and prompt recovery, relieving the stress of medical expenses and allowing them to focus on healing.
Texas traffic laws are in place to maintain safety on the roads. Violations of these laws not only lead to citations and fines but can also result in serious accidents. Understanding these laws is crucial, and when they are not followed, it can significantly affect the outcome of a personal injury claim. Our attorneys are well-versed in Texas traffic regulations and will work diligently to ensure that any breach of these laws by another party is addressed in your case.
Following a highway accident, there are several steps you should take to safeguard your well-being and legal rights. Here’s a post-accident checklist to keep in mind:
- Seek medical attention: Even if you feel fine, some injuries may not be immediately apparent.
- Gather evidence at the scene: Take photos, obtain witness statements, and document everything you can.
- Exchange information with the other driver(s): Get contact and insurance details from all parties involved.
- Report the accident to your insurance company: Inform them of the incident, but be cautious about making any statements until you’ve spoken with an attorney.
Highway Accidents Prevention
Preventing highway accidents is vital. Adley Law Firm encourages drivers to practice safe driving habits, such as adhering to traffic laws, avoiding distractions, and keeping vehicles well-maintained. These simple steps can significantly reduce the risk of accidents and save lives.
Determining liability is a critical aspect of any highway accident claim. This process involves identifying who is responsible for causing the accident. Our attorneys have the expertise to investigate the circumstances of your accident, gather evidence, and build a strong case to ensure that the liable parties are held accountable.
For those seeking legal help after a highway accident, here are some frequently asked questions (FAQs):
What should I do immediately after a highway accident?
If you’re involved in a highway accident, your first priority should be safety:
- Check for injuries and call 911 if there are any emergencies.
- Move to a safe area away from traffic if possible.
- Exchange information with the other parties involved.
- Take photos of the accident scene, including vehicle positions and damage.
- Get contact information from witnesses.
- Do not admit fault or discuss the accident details with others involved.
- Contact the police to file a report.
- Call Adley Law Firm at (713) 999-8669 for legal guidance.
How long do I have to file a personal injury claim in Texas?
In Texas, the statute of limitations for personal injury claims is generally two years from the date of the accident. It’s crucial to act promptly to ensure your rights are protected. If you miss this deadline, you may be barred from pursuing compensation.
What compensation can I recover after a highway accident?
You may be entitled to various types of compensation, including:
- Medical expenses (past and future)
- Lost wages and loss of earning capacity
- Property damage
- Pain and suffering
- Emotional distress
- Punitive damages, in cases of egregious conduct
How do I deal with insurance adjusters?
Dealing with insurance adjusters can be tricky, as they often aim to minimize payouts. It’s advisable to:
- Politely decline to give a recorded statement without legal counsel.
- Not sign any documents or accept a settlement offer without consulting a lawyer.
- Direct all communication to your attorney at Adley Law Firm.
What if the other driver was uninsured or underinsured?
If the at-fault driver lacks sufficient insurance, you may need to file a claim with your own insurance company if you have uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage. Our attorneys can help navigate this process to maximize your recovery.
Can I still claim if I was partially at fault?
Texas follows a “modified comparative fault” rule, which means you can still recover damages if you were partially at fault, as long as your fault does not exceed 50%. However, your recovery will be reduced by your percentage of fault.
How does Adley Law Firm determine the value of my case?
The value of your case depends on various factors, including the severity of your injuries, the impact on your life, and incurred expenses. Our experienced attorneys will thoroughly review your case, including medical records, accident reports, and witness statements, to ensure we pursue the maximum compensation you deserve.
For detailed answers to these questions and more, please visit our Car Accident FAQs page or contact our office for a personal consultation.
Highway accidents can be life-changing events, but with the right legal support, you can navigate the aftermath with confidence. If you or a loved one has been involved in a highway accident in Texas, contact Adley Law Firm today to discuss your case and explore your options for obtaining justice and fair compensation.